Thursday, October 25, 2012

Math Help Requested: Students Need to Show Their Work Online

As we near the end of the BlendKit 2012 course, I am amazed that our blended course development here on campus has gone along at the same pace and so we have arrived in the same place at the same time: Content + Assignments = Modules. My developing faculty know what they want students to learn and they are pretty good at determining how they will assess the learning, but we have hit a few technical roadblocks that will become my responsibility as the instructional designer to resolve. First as far as content goes, the courses we are developing are in our Integrated Energy program, such courses as Solar Photovoltaic Components, and National Electric Code; these are hands-on demonstration type classes, so somehow I must motivate the instructors to create (or fin) enough demonstration videos to provide learning while keeping the personality of the instructor an integral part of the class. This will not be easy because these are busy instructors with either other classes and campus duties or full time jobs, and families and outside lives as well; if I can get them the tools, when will they record? This is one thing I cannot do for them.

Now for the next technical roadblock, and I could use some help with this one. Math calculations are a large part of the above mentioned courses but not general math, actual math that takes place when for example, figuring out load calculations for a kitchen in a new house. The instructor can pretty easily demonstrate how this is done but when it comes to students turning in their homework online, or showing their calculation steps for a test, how can they do this online? I know there are many ways such as scanning or taking a picture with a mobile phone but for my non-traditional students this just seems like so much to ask. Is there an easier way? Help!

Or "help thyself! This turns out to be a great tool, students can show their work

http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/ Also if they have Word 2010, the equation editor is not bad at all. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelvin said...

So glad you found some resources to help with math equations! I had intended to get back to you after reading your query a few weeks ago, but alas... :-( You came up with versions of the options I would've shared: 1) using some kind of MathML editor and 2) using a built-in equation editor within a word processor. I had hoped to find better options, but I haven't yet. If I do, I'll let you know. :-)

Kelvin

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home