Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Game Elements for Learning

Last week I began following the Faculty eCommons, this week I received an email with information about a MOOC that was just starting, Game Elements for Learning.
Since I usually try to take some kind of professional development course in the summer, I registered for this one on a whim. I believe strongly that we can do a much better job of reaching students and helping them to develop their special talents and be successful people as well as successful students so I am open to trying anything that might help them succeed. This will be my second MOOC, if you recall last fall I took the BlendKit 2012 course so that I could experience what my hybrid developing faculty would experience. Like that MOOC this online course is free and pretty much self-paced.

Research is showing us that games are a good way to learn most anything and many teachers are taking that to the next level see The 5 Hidden Powers of Gaming for Learning for some examples or visit the master of gaming for learning himself, Marc Prensky, or his site http://games2train.com/

At minimum, I can get some new ideas to share with online and hybrid faculty or for improving my own online course. Actually I have already taken one idea from the course! The instructors asked us to introduce ourselves by creating an avatar and share our blog/twitter/whatever social networking links so we can get to know each other. PERFECT! Why don't I have my students create an avatar? They are free and easy to create and will probably make our introductory discussion much more fun and engaging. Oops, now I will have to work on the rest of the course...I'll be back.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Thanks for your insights and welcome to #GE4L. After working with the avatars it seems like the drpple.me works well, but the Voki site does not embed in Canvas. Still they are both pretty easy to use for all ages. There are some suggestions for other tools on some of the participant blog posts too if you have not check ed them out.

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home